Meteorologists are expecting summer 2016 to be one of the hottest on record. Keeping your pets cool is extremely important during times of warm weather because they don’t have natural cooling systems like humans. Dogs and cats pant in order to cool themselves, but at times, this is not enough. Help your dog or cat cool off this summer with a refreshing and delicious popsicle.
- Whole-fruit Pupsicles. Begin by mixing 4 cups of water, 1 cup of chopped fresh fruit, and 1 tbsp. of molasses (dissolved in water) in a bowl. Just pick the fruit that your pooch loves the most (don’t forget to discard any of its pits or seeds!). Pour into popsicle molds or ice trays and freeze until solid.
- Apple-Honey Pupsicles. Start by mixing 2 six-ounce containers of non-fat, plain yogurt, 2 tbsp. of peanut butter, 2 tbsp. of honey, and 1/3 cup of applesauce in a bowl. Pour into popsicle molds or ice trays and freeze until solid.
- Chicken Pupsicles. Combine 1 cup of low-sodium chicken stock, ½ cup of water, and 1 ½ ounces of finely chopped chicken meat in a bowl. Pour into popsicle molds or ice trays and freeze until solid.
- Bacon Pupsicles. Combine 1 cup of nonfat, plain yogurt, 1/3 cup of cinnamon applesauce, ¼ cup of milk, 3 ounce-bag of real bacon bits, and 3 tbsps. of maple syrup in a bowl. Pour into popsicle molds or ice trays and freeze until solid.
- Banana-Peanut Butter Pup-cream. Prepare the following ingredients: 1 ripe banana, ½ cup of peanut butter, ¼ cup of wheat germ. Prepare by mashing the bananas and peanut butter together. Stir the mixture in wheat germ, and then pour into popsicle molds or ice trays and freeze until solid.